Number one: it contains the word "illusionist" and that it a great word. As someone who loves words almost as much as moving pictures I have to say the sound of that one, as well as the idea of a person who creates illusions makes feel warm and happy inside.
Number two: "toolkit" - another words that's fun to say because it contains two completely different syllables. Think about it, the round and long "tool" together with the sharp and edgy "kit": it's a beautiful story of star-crossed lovers.
Number three: The combination of those two words means that we are illusionists who, in the course of our studies, will a acquire a set of tools designed to be used together for a particular purpose (that definition of "toolkit" comes from dictionary.com in case you were wondering). I like this idea because it demystifies what we are doing and makes it look more like a skill that one can learn, yet the words used to communicate this idea still sound magical.
It's a great combination of magic and practicality.
But I digress. Over the last five weeks we have been told about the importance of drawing in sketchbooks many times. I mean many times. Draw every day! Draw everything you see! Draw all the time! Have a look at this website: http://www.scott-eaton.com/2014/on-sketchbooks-and-drawing#more-2798 (I actually agree with my lecturer here and think you should look at this website)!
Of course sketchbooks are a lot scarier than one might think. Especially if you want to get really artsy and you buy one of those beautiful expensive sketchbooks (I won't name names but the first syllable rhymes with hole and the second is an homonym of the thing covering your body). I have felt that dread many times, when I opened a new sketchbook and it had beautiful unused white pages. I worried. I worried that I would sully it with my ugly art and that I had wasted my money on something I just couldn't do.
So obviously, last week we made our own sketchbooks. I wish I had taken pictures while we did it and I guess this is a lesson for me but here is the final result.
We took a few sheets of A2 paper and folded each until they were A5 and then sowed them together. The cover is made of grey board but I haven't glued mine on yet. Also, my sowing skills aren't exactly the greatest but the book serves its purpose.
The idea is, if you stop thinking of your sketchbook as a holy object whose purity must not be damaged and start seeing it as a simple "number of blank sheets of blank or ruled paper bound together for writing, recording business transactions, etc." or in our case drawings (thanks again dictionary.com), you might find it a lot easier to just draw and forget everything else.
I'm almost half-way through mine.



No comments:
Post a Comment