So apparently, there must always be a reason to walk.
I think I get that. Having spent a morning animating a pointless walk I can understand why nobody would want to look at a boring walk cycle. I didn't really enjoy making it but at least I get the satisfaction of having done something of my own. If you're just looking at someone's walk cycle and it's nothing but a generic character walking generically without a single trace of motivation, I understand why you'd get bored.
That's why we need to think of many things before we animate. Who is the character? How old is he/she? What's their social status? And of course Why are they walking? What are their needs and thoughts? What emotional state are they in?
I can't help but feel slightly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things to consider, especially since so far 2D animation has proven to be quite challenging for me. I can't wait to get started on a walk in stop-motion.
If there are so many things to consider, will we be able to manage the simple mechanics of walking or will we get lost? What's more important for an animation student? The mechanics of the walk or the emotions behind the walk?
I intend to find out this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment